Saturday, January 28, 2017

Chili!!!

Here on the island, neighbor Craig hosts an annual birthday bash for his wife.  He hires a band and invites all the neighbors, and has a chili cookoff.  All those interested bring a crockpot of chili and hope for the best. It is not formal, and the judges are just people here and they change every year.

The first year I heard about this, I thought I would go and check it out.  I didn't know Craig but that didn't stop me from checking it out.  I was impressed enough that I told Marlina that next year, I would enter a pot.

Next year, I decided to batch up some and see what happens.  Only problem, Luke had a basketball game right during the judging.  I brought over a crock anyways.  I saw neighbor Priscilla and told her my secret number and to let me know if I win.  I didn't have high hopes, but I did have some hope.  Right about half time of the game, I get a text.  2nd place!  Not bad for a first timer.  Or a multi timer.

This year, I am having fun putting together the chili. 
Mixing the spices and this is the result.....


The party starts in about an hour.  The kids and I are gonna head over and see what happens.  Either which way, I have some Jerry Jeff Walker and the Flatlanders playing, drinking a Shiner Bock, enjoying the cool 55 degree weather.  I don't have high hopes, but there is hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment