Thursday, June 2, 2016

A little bit of chicken fried...

Well, I went to the doctor yesterday.  It's been 5 years since my last checkup.  I hit 40 this year and figured I had better get the ole once over glance.  I decided I had better warn Marlina in case she got some news afterwards that she didn't like.  "Babe, I just want you to be prepared regarding the doctor's diagnosis.  There is a distinct possibility that the doctor may say that I am an Adonis."  She rolled her eyes and moved on, but I know she was thinking about it.


Something else that's been on my mind lately segues nicely with this thought.  I went to lunch with my father the other day.  The special on the menu board was chicken fried steak with mashed potatoes and cream gravy, the Texas classic. 
It looked phenomenal, but as many a grown up has found out, these delicacies are not exactly healthy.  In fact, they may be the worst food on the planet for you depending, of course, on what you put in your cream gravy.  "I'll  have the grilled chicken Caesar salad please," I said.  Then, my father says, "I'll have the chicken fried steak," as if there is nothing out of the ordinary.  I haven't had a chicken fried steak in over five years because I know how bad it is for me and I know I will be absolutely worthless for the next four hours.  Two days later, we both go to lunch with a customer who is in his 70's as well.  This customer also ordered chicken fried steak for lunch.  I was flabbergasted, until it hit me:  its the benefit/consequence bell curve. Both of them had already reached the height of the bell curve and were on the other side.  The benefits of eating that wonderful chicken fried finally outweighed the consequences of consuming it, just like it does when you are 18.  I sure hope I get to see the other side.  It looks delicious.

Back to the doctor's visit....I had my first EKG.  I had my first stress test on the tread mill.  I got my first finger....Yep, I hit 40, and that's when the fun begins, or at least thats what the doctor said as she snapped the rubber glove.  I had blood drawn, I peed in a cup.  At least they gave me a sandwich while I waited.  Then the doc came back in to discuss the results. 
Just kidding.  The doc said I was a normal 40 year old red blooded American male.  I had a little too much belly fat.  My cholesterol was just a hint higher than where is should be.  I should exercise more and drink less.  Other than that, I received a clean bill of health.  Oh yeah, she also said one chicken fried steak a year won't kill me.  Anyone want to do lunch?


No comments:

Post a Comment