Thursday, July 13, 2017

Hawk

So, last night Unk came over to eat some pizza with the kids.  As we are all gathered around the dining room table, we heard a loud THUNK.  Where is the cat and what the hell has he done now, immediately went through my mind.  It sounded as if it came from downstairs, but the cat never goes downstairs.  I went upstairs to look for him. He was no where to be found.  I went on the main floor, but couldn't find him there either.  I ventured down the stairs to see if he had gone down to the landing and knocked something over.  I was halfway down the stairs, just enough to see the window on the door that leads outside when something grabbed my attention.  Standing outside my door was a very large hawk.  Standing, not walking around, not doing anything.  Just standing there looking confused.


Something similar to the one pictured here, only this guy wasn't balancing on a pole, he was just dazed.  I then saw a little package on the front stoop. It took me a second to add it up, but that hawk had caught some prey, and was struggling with it, not able to fully control where he was flying.  He must have been fighting with the prey and flew right into the glass door.  I have heard of sparrows or pigeons flying into windows before, but I have never heard of a hawk.

Anyways, the dazed hawk shook off the cobwebs and when he saw me gawking at him, he high tailed it out of there, leaving me a little present on the doormat.  I think it was a baby night heron, but in any case, I disposed of it and went back upstairs to finish the pizza.  Only, I wasn't as hungry as before.

No comments:

Post a Comment