Tuesday, July 18, 2017

The Astros!!

A few weeks ago, I signed Luke up for the Astros Buddies program.  This has been around for ever, and something I never got to do when I was a kid.  Luke received a backpack, socks, a cap, and 4 tickets to a game.  I thought that was a pretty good deal, especially this season as they have the best record in baseball and a legit shot at going to the Series.

Besides all of the items mentioned, his name got entered into a lottery where he could meet some players and get autographs.  Well, he got chosen this past weekend, so up to the stadium we went, arriving at 10:30 for a 1:10 start.  Marlina and Kate dropped us off and we waited in line to get the autographs.  By 10:45 we were next in line.  I looked at Luke and informed him that this was his chance to meet the players and to take advantage of it.  Ask the players a question, don't just hand him a ball to sign silently.  Luke walked up to Astros reliever Will Harris, and politely asked "How do you throw the ball so hard?".  Perfect, I thought. Now this professional probably gets asked that question a bunch and he should impart some wisdom regarding practicing hard, never giving up, listen to your coaches, etc.  Harris's reply?  "Shoot kid, I just throw it as hard as I can every time."  Not exactly the inspirational stuff that I was looking for, but hey, maybe Luke can gleam some wisdom from it anyhow.
 Well, after that, we went to the game and had a good time.  The Astros came from behind to win it, and I got to see the new parts of the stadium that I hadn't previously seen.  The kids got to run the bases afterwards, and it was a blast to see Luke run around as fast as he could and Kate parading around like she was in no hurry at all. 


Go Astros!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment